What Is a PU Leather Portfolio?
A PU leather portfolio is a portfolio that is made with an artificial leather surface. But the body does contain parts of the animal hide used in the production of other leather materials.
A PU leather portfolio is ideal for when you want a classy-looking material for storing your important work documents and assets, but you don’t want to spend too much money. Let’s look at what you’ll get out of the portfolio.
What Does PU Mean?
The PU in this portfolio refers to polyurethane. This is a polymer that features organic units connected by carbamate or urethane links. The compound is often used in the production of plastic materials or foams.
PU leather can come with a nice look, although you would have to be careful when getting it ready for your use. This guide will help you identify many points surrounding how well this leather material can work for your needs.
How Is It Made?
A PU leather portfolio will include a leather surface made through the following steps. The practice is often done by machine:
- A split leather material is collected. This is the fibrous part of the hide that is left over following the production of other leather items.
- A polyurethane coating is applied along the split leather. The material may be painted or sprayed onto the body depending on the size of the portfolio.
- Multiple leather pieces that feature the polyurethane coating should be bonded together. The goal is to produce a thorough shape that is sturdy enough.
Concerns To Note
As appealing as a PU leather portfolio can be for your work needs, there are a few things to spot surrounding such a portfolio:
- The leather body won’t contain the stress marks and other features that you may notice on a natural leather portfolio. There might not be much character on your portfolio due to this.
- The PU leather can wear out if not handled well. The material could possibly crack or break apart depending on how you use the portfolio. The wear can be more significant if you use the surface more often.
- Some adhesive scents may come out of your portfolio, although they are more likely to appear if your mode is a little newer. The scent will not be noticeable after a while, but this can be distracting to some people.
- You will need to use warm water to clean off your portfolio. A bar of soap may be used if you’ve got a tough stain. Either way, the surface should be wiped with a wet cloth and then left to air dry after you clean it off.
A PU leather portfolio will have a quality look to it, but you have to watch for how well the portfolio is designed. The leather material is very different from what you might expect out of other models. Be aware of how well this may work if you’re looking for something easy to handle or support for your daily use.